Saturday, September 16, 2006

Tournament Time!!!

So today was the big Fall Gathering for the Shaolin-Do Association. Big tournament in Lexington. People from all over the country were there to compete. There were kata competitions and a sparring competitions.

 

Although I wasn’t confident in what I was doing, I decided to participate to see what I could do.

 

Jen was nice enough to get up ultra-early with me (6AM) this morning and go down to watch.

 

It was a really long day. The little kids went first, which was very cute. Our school doesn’t teach children, but many others do, so there were a ton there.

 

Things finally got started, and myself and Brian and Jacob were all competing in the blue belt level competitions.

 

We each did an open hands form, a weapons form, and then we had a little round robin sparring tournament.

 

Sparring was tough, but fun. Although head contact is illegal, I got clocked twice, once in the mouth in my first match, and then once in the nose in my last match.

 

It was great to watch everyone do their stuff. Our school did extraordinarily well. Almost everyone that went got a medal. Including me! I got two, one for weapons form (Bo Staff), and one for sparring. Both 2nd places, so silvers for each.

 

 

It’s a wonderful feeling to get back out and compete in something again. I’ve needed this badly.

 

I couldn’t be more thankful for today really, and mostly because Jen came to watch when she understood it was important to me. 6AM to 10:30PM is a really long day when you are doing something that you really aren’t taking part in, so I’m very appreciative of the sacrifice.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sooo proud of you honey!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! that's really fantastic that you did so well - both in the tourney and in picking a girl!

karen