Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Disappointed

Alright, so Monday night at the dojo, I got some disappointing news.

 

They most likely are not going to allow me to test in September for my next belt. Although I still have one kata to learn before then, I somewhat question this. I don’t think the head instructor knows quite how much I’m at the dojo. He was surprised to hear what I know at this point, but he still said that they prefer not to allow blue to green testing in 3 months.

 

 

I’m taking this two ways.

 

First, I am a little pissed because I don’t feel like I’m getting enough new material taught. Monday is supposed to be new material night, and I haven’t learned anything on Monday nights in almost a month. I feel like I’m begging for new material from anyone that will teach it. Short version here: I don’t think my not being ready in September would have anything to do with my skills, but everything to do with the teaching. Which is somewhat disappointing since I’ve made such a big commitment to learning the material. I am at the dojo more than just about anyone else other than Rachel and Jones. At least for my level folks, can’t speak to the higher belts. I don’t know what else I could possibly do on my side.

 

 

Second, I see this as a test in patience. If they won’t let me test, I’ll perfect what I’ve got, work on my stances more, and work on the several long katas I know. This may be better for me in the long run. My conditioning will improve, as it already has greatly. My overall competence will improve. So these are all good things.

 

 

I run the risk of getting bored however, and I really, really don’t like that. That’s the one thing on this planet that I cannot stand. I’m pretty good at keeping myself interested, but I HATE to be held back. I learn much different than most folks, and much quicker. Being held back for whatever reason is 100% not acceptable.

 

So, I’m going to have some work to do here, and I’m not sure what’s up yet. I don’t want to back down my commitment, but if I get bored, it’s going to be really, really difficult to keep doing it this way. I guess I kind of see like I made a commitment to the dojo, and I want one back from them. And I’m not getting it, and that’s not going to work for very long.

 

 

 

Hmmm, we’ll see what the future brings.

4 comments:

Karen said...

that seems strange - can't you get hte other instructor to give you a second opinion on if you're ready to test?

RandomBitsofDigitalFlotsam said...

Not really.......It's not really about a second opinion. The instructors put their own reputations on the line when we test, especially in Lexington which is where the next test is. If the students look bad, the instructors look bad, so I get that part of it.



I have some time to try to convince them that I am ready, but I feel like I shouldn't have to.

I feel like they have a serious communication problem between instructors and I'm just caught in the middle.

Finlands finest said...

I am so sorry to hear that. I know that this has become a lifestyle for you, and it is difficult to not move at the pace you want to.

Do I need to go kick some instructor a$$???

Viki said...

Take consolation in the fact that you're better than most other people, and therefore advance more quickly than them. That may not keep you from getting bored, but hopefully it will help in some way.