Monday, August 07, 2006

Weekend Update/Contemplation

Great weekend!

 

Went to Chicago to visit Jen. Traffic sucked on the way up, so it took 7 ½ hours to get there instead of 5, so I got there late. Her roommate Val and her friend Mary were waiting there to meet me. That was odd, since we literally said hello and then they left in a hurry. Not sure if I scared them or what, but……

 

Saturday we were going to go downtown, but Jen hurt her knee Friday night, so we ended up having a quick breakfast and going to IKEA for part of the day. That was fun, lots of neat stuff, have to be careful not to spend lots of money there. I could totally redecorate my entire house in that one store, so…….  We then just headed home and relaxed together until we met up with some of Jen’s friends to have dinner. Dinner was great, all of her friends were very nice. We stayed a little too long talking (well, I was talking, kept pushing the time back, sorry Jen), so we ended up missing the movie we wanted to go see. That was ok since it meant we got home early and had the house to ourselves for a while.

 

Sunday we slept in, then went to breakfast and generally just hung out all day until I had to come home. All in all it was a great weekend, and I always feel better after seeing Jen. I’m a little tired and sore today from the drive, but that’s ok.

 

 

 

 

Contemplation:


I’m having a really hard time with conservative Christians right now that see force as a justifiable means for peace. I personally have no problems with force and the use of force, but if you truly believe in the Christian faith, you cannot see it as anything other than evil, and you cannot endorse the use of force by your government as a result. Where in the New Testament does Jesus pick up a machine gun or pilot a jet to bomb a house? If I’m missing it, someone point it out to me, because that’s a scripture I would read
J.

 

And what really throws me for a loop is that the more of them I talk to, the more of them I understand are willing to even use nuclear weapons if it came down to that. Can you be more hypocritical? I really don’t think so...................

 

1 comment:

Finlands finest said...

It was a great weekend!!! I promise we will make it into the city.

I don't think you scared Val and Mary, I think they were just ready to go out. They just wanted to stay to meet you and say hi.

I feel better after seeing you too!!

I think that violence only begets violence. I am a firm pacifist. Just the same, I am not sure what options there are for the preventation of terrorism, other than force. This is a concept that has had me thinking for awhile. I also believe that no good can come out of using nuclear bombs....

My faith is based on the idea of loving all others to the best of my ability. Killing them or harming them goes against my personal faith.