Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Well

So I was going to write yesterday and couldn't.

I found my wedding rings over the weekend, and decided to sell them yesterday. I'm not sure why I was keeping them. I guess part of me always assumed that she'd be back at some point. Obviously at this point, it's been almost 3 years, and that's simply not going to happen. So I decided to sell them and be done with it.

I had no idea how difficult this would end up being. Not from a physical doing it perspective, but from a letting go emotionally perspective. I took the rings, and walked into the place to sell them. The lady at the counter asked if she could help me. I explained what I wanted to do, and she bombarded me with questions. Where were they purchased, did I have receipts, was I sure it was over, did I want a loan on them instead of selling them, was I sure it was over (I got asked this like 10 times), did I want her to hang on to them for a week or two just to be sure, etc. AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!

I finally got so upset that I talked to the lady in a very loud voice. I told her that I was positive, that this wasn't an easy thing, and she wasn't making it any easier, and that if she wanted to buy the rings she needed to give me the damn money (exact words) or I was going to go somewhere else. She must have seen the tears in my eyes because she apolgized and completed the transaction quickly at that point. I apologized to her, and I told her that the divorce was finally over 2 years ago and that I just hadn't been able to part with them until just now. She sympathized, and apologized again for putting me through so much. She said she gets this type of thing all the time, and most people just do things in a rash state and then regret it later. I told her I understood, but that it was just very difficult for me.

So I finished up and got out of there. I was really, really, really down, so I tried to call Karen, but got voicemail. So I just went home, and I just kind of collapsed when I got home. I locked the door to my room and just shut out the outside world for a while. It helped some. I feel better this morning, but still down overall.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I know we talked yesterday, but i want to reiterate again that i'm sorry this was so painful for you. i think that in the long run it's better that you're rid of them, but for the short term it's a hard thing to accept.

if you need me call me - i promise i'll look for you!