Monday, July 17, 2006

Monday

After a wonderful weekend in Chicago with Jen, I thought I’d take some time to post some stuff.

 

First, a brief recap of the weekend: Got into Chicago Friday night, we went to dinner at an awesome pizza place. Then we went home to sleep. Saturday, it was hot. Too hot to do anything. And her air conditioner wasn’t working right, so her house was hot. We went to breakfast at Richard Walker’s, which has to be one of the best breakfasts I’ve ever had. We went back to her place, and we worked on the air conditioner again. Basically had it figured out, but couldn’t quite get it. So, instead of trying to get into the city and deal with the heat, we went to a waterpark near her house. We had a blast. Got a little too much sun, but it was a lot of fun. We went to dinner at The Ram, which was a cool brewery, and then we met some of her friends at one of their houses. They were very nice, but we were tired and didn’t stay long. Sunday Jen played soccer in the morning and I worked out at her house. We had a simple lunch and spent the rest of the day together lounging around. I drove back Sunday night, got home around 11PM.

 

 

Now: my list, since everyone seems to be having the lists this week.

 

1)       I absolutely love DJ Krush. I put this in when I got close to Chicago, and it’s a perfect soundtrack for the area. He uses old Blue Note recordings as mix fodder, and the jazz beats and notes jive wonderfully with the area. The music is also busy and very urban, so it again goes well. The two combined make it perfect for the busy lifestyle that everyone there seems to have.

2)       I would die in Chicago. I have never encountered so many rude drivers. Everything feels compressed into as little space as possible, and that’s something I especially detest. It’s also very expensive, even for small things.

3)       I have been pondering reality quite a bit recently, and I notice this most when I’m talking to other people. Pretty much everyone I’ve talked to in the past 3 weeks, the subject of reality and its nature has come up. The odd thing is for the most part I haven’t brought it up. Twice I did, like with Karen today, but every other time someone else has brought it up. Very, very odd.

4)       My brain stores so much useless information. The oddest things get dredged up from time to time. Everyone finds it amusing, but I am honestly as amazed as they are sometimes. I have no idea where I pick this stuff up. Whenever I go to check it though, I always find out that I wasn’t making it up.

5)       Compounding on Dale’s musical thoughts, the soundtrack of my life right now is the following artists. I find they fit everything going on right now perfectly:   DJ Krush (complete works, like 10 cds), Muse (Absolution, Black Holes and Revelations), Orbital (too many albums to list), Action Figure Party (self titled), DJ Spooky (various cds), Mike Doughty (various cds), Massive Attack (Mezzanine, Protection, Blue Lines), The Chemical Brothers (Push the Button), and Gnarls Barkley (St. Elsewhere).

 

 

That’s it for now!

 

3 comments:

Karen said...

i hear you on living in chicago. i think not living there and only seeing the good things during a visit (typically to one of my friends) is the right way to take the city in.

why am i not surprised that i know only 2 of your groups that sing your life soundtrack?!

Finlands finest said...

It was an amazing weekend!!!

I liked DJ Krush for the most part. It does fit Chicago.

Chicago isn't that bad....

I like the information your brain produces. VERY Entertaining!

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested