Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Exercise in Frustration

That describes today pretty well.

Some stupid ass little thunderstorm rolls through Cincy at 6AM or thereabouts, and lo and behold my customer that's probably the MOST protected from such things goes down. Hard.

Battery backups fail, then the servers refuse to come back up. Worst-case scenario. 4 drive RAID 5 array, two disks go out.

So, the re-building begins. How bout no? Ya, it's the not the drives that are bad, it's the controller. Of course, that's not a stock part, so no one in town has one.

So I wait. For 4 hours.

During which I try to accomplish a different call.

End up being THERE for 5 hours.

So the first customer is somewhat pissed. Understandably.

I get back, go to restore. How bout no?

Ya, last night's is no good. Neither is the online backup.

Can I shoot myself yet?

Oh, no, wait, not yet.

Monday's backup thankfully IS good. So restore that, goes fine.

Oh wait, they forgot to tell me that their most important information they MOVED YESTERDAY. Guess what didn't get caught on the backup?

Errrrrghgghghgh!

To top it off, all my other calls that I couldn't get to today are now pissed, because no one called them like I asked someone to do SINCE I WAS DEALING WITH AN EMERGENCY.

I abso-fucking-lutely laid into my boss around 5:30PM.

And he apologized. That's the only good thing that happened today so far.


At least I get to talk to Jen tonight, that's what I've been looking forward to all day. That's what got me through today when I felt like destroying a few souls.

3 comments:

Karen said...

and just cause you're so mean i'm not commenting.

but thanks for fixing my email : )

Finlands finest said...

I'm glad that we could have the conversation we did last night!!!

We have a bad thunderstorm here in Chicagoland today....maybe you could come check our server out and make sure it is ready?!?!

Viki said...

Hopefully your clients understand that you're not responsible for the weather, and I hope things today are less stressful...