Monday, May 15, 2006

Quiet

So, I'm sitting, waiting on dinner to be done. 14 more minutes of simmering, so I've got some time to post a bit.

Challenge #1 to Al came and went today with nothing to report. Not surprised, not even disappointed. It was expected. I would have been shocked had he shown up.

It was a busy day, lots to get done, and lots got done. That's enough said there I think.

I've found myself in a really weird place for me. I'm having trouble finishing my book. (#7 in the Dark Tower series by Stephen King, the last book). Not because it's difficult, or because I can't get into it. I'm having trouble finishing it because I don't want to finish it.

This is by far one of the best series of books I have ever read. Period. It's not normal Stephen King scary, blood and guts, shock type writing. This story means something to him, and you can tell it on every page. I've been overwhelmed with the writing. I've been excited in spots, to the point where my legs bounce with nervous energy wondering what's going to happen. I've been overcome with happiness in places, laughing out loud or just smiling like the cat that ate the canary. I've even cried in spots that were particularly poignant. He ties together a great many of his stories into this story, and it's incredible what the man is able to pull off. He redeems a character that everyone had to believe was lost in Salem's Lot. He explains more about his big villain, Randall Flagg. The list goes on and on. He brings in the Wizard of Oz, ZZ Top, every Clint Eastwood western you've ever seen, Harry Potter (a particularly briliant way of doing that honestly), robot warriors, vampires, telekinetic powers, religion and lack thereof, I could go on for hours.

I don't want it to be over. I don't want to finish it. And yet, I'm thankful he has finished it. His accident a few years ago, and his brush with death as a result, spurred him to finish what he called his greatest work, one that he would finish and then quit writing for good when it was done. His accident changed everything, and we are richer for that.

2 comments:

Karen said...

great, now i have 7 more books added to the list that i have to read... thanks a lot Tom

Finlands finest said...

No kidding....I want to read those too!