Thursday, May 18, 2006

Update

So, the past few days have been interesting. A woman that I am interested in has been over at my house the past three evenings. It has been nice to have someone to talk to.

 

Monday night was nothing special, really just getting started on a friendship. Tuesday was much the same. Last night however, Brian was hanging out at my place after Kung Fu and she stopped by as well. I fixed everyone dinner, and we hung out and had a good time. Brian left around 11. She stayed behind, and our conversation quickly turned serious.

 

She’s in an odd place in her life right now, and I was immediately able to draw some corollaries to the time I spent after my divorce. So, we started talking about it. She expressed some frustration with her graduate studies in Psychology. It basically came down to a question of belief. I asked her if she believed that what she was doing was helping her clients. She said she didn’t know, wasn’t sure what she believed. She said she felt like she didn’t have a personal base to draw from to help people. She felt like everything was coming apart, all her friends had gone separate ways, so she really didn’t know where she was.

 

This is exactly where I was after my divorce. I had no base, felt like my friends were retards. The group disintegrated slowly from there, and that didn’t help the situation.

 

I explained all of this to her, and explained what I’ve done since then to find that base and get my life in order again. I explained it was important to have a few good friends to help you find that. For me, those people were (are) Karen and Brian.

 

As I explained some of this, understanding that this was a highly personal area, she started to cry. She said it was nice to finally talk to someone who understood where she was coming from. She felt like those around her didn’t take things so seriously, and were only interested in having fun. (Boy, sounds familiar, eh?) We discussed some of what she’s been taught in psych classes, and how that jived or didn’t with the bit of psychology I took in school. The conversation was absolutely great.  So, we continued to talk about various things regarding these deep philosophical notions. Until a little after 1AM. At which point I was having difficulty sitting still because my ankle hurt so badly after a 16 hour day before any of this started. I offered her either my bed (with me sleeping on the couch) or the couch if she wanted to crash rather than drive home, but she politely refused and went on her way.

 

It was a pretty good night, and even if the romantic connection doesn’t develop the way that I hope it might, I feel like I’ve at least found another kindred soul. She views things much the same way I do.

 

I can’t wait to talk to her again. I sent her an email early this morning telling her to keep her chin up, and that she was welcome to call me anytime if she needed to vent or talk. I also told her if nothing else, to take the email as a reminder that “Someone out there is thinking of you, and wishes you well.”

 

 

1 comment:

Karen said...

very sweet follow-up touch. We need more detail. Like did you hold her hand when she cried? How did she like the house? When are you going to ask for an OFFICIAL first date?

For the record, i got not 1, not 2 but 3 "did you see Tom's blog"'s?