Wednesday, January 10, 2007

011007

Got through exercises again this morning. I’m merely posting this here because I’m hoping that posting it each day helps me be motivated to do it the next morning…….

 

 

 

So today, for work, I got to upgrade my laptop to Windows Vista, full version. I know, I know, to you non-tech folks, it doesn’t seem like that big of a deal, but it is to me. I’m the first in our company to use it, and I need to learn it well so that when we have customers wanting to use it when it comes out next month, I at least have a clue how it works.

 

So far, my impressions are reasonably favorable, though I will say it took me an hour to get it working the way I wanted it to. And that hour was on top of the 2.5 hours it took to upgrade. Not real happy with time involved, but it gives me an idea what to tell customers.

 

The “new” interface is nice really. You can change things around and make it look like XP if you want, but leaving it as is makes it look a little more like a Mac. I do like the way the windows all look, and I love the stuff they added for switching between programs.

 

Functionality-wise, I think my customers are going to have some problems getting used to things. Controls are moved around, and it can be difficult to find settings that were easy to find under XP. User Account Control is annoying, it’s this stupid little box that pops up EVERY TIME you want to run a program or change a setting, making sure that you want to do it. I get the whole spyware prevention thing, but most people will want this disabled. You CAN disable the setting though, and I found where to do that, so all is good.

 

 

I’ll post more impressions as I actually USE the software.

3 comments:

Karen said...

somehow i don't think i'll get this upgrade until like 2010! by then you'll be a wiz!

Mamma Sarah said...

Glad to hear someone has the upgrade and will know how to use it... I'm sure all new computers will have the option (maybe) of having this on it... we're going to be replacing ours here soon.

Have there been major glitches that you know of with it?

Viki said...

Wow, I didn't even know that Windows was coming out with something new. Go me.

Keep up the exercise - for a few years I actually wrote my workouts on my calendar every day, which helped keep me going...