Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Now I know..........

..........what real pain is. I always thought I did until now.

Here's the brief synopsis of the surgery and events afterwards: Surgery got started late. No big deal. I sat in the hospital bed from 6:30AM until 9:00 AM waiting, with an IV anti-biotic and saline solution hooked up. I finished my current book in that time, which was cool. 9:30AM, 2 nurses came in. They went over various instructions and questions, then gave me a series of 5 shots into my IV, 1 was Fentenal, 1 was some type of valium type thing. I was wheeled to the operating room, talked to the doctor for about 5 minutes, was moved to the operating table. I laid back, and that's the last thing I remember until I woke up in the recovery room.

The doc said he had to do more than he thought during surgery. He cleaned the debris out of the ankle, but he also had to remove scar tissue, and had to shave the muscle down as well. It had overdeveloped to compensate for the problem. Hence, the surgery took over 2 hours, compared to the hour it was supposed to take.

It was 11:45AM, so my time sense was immediately off since the surgery was supposed to be around an hour. I was EXTREMELY disoriented for about 45 minutes. Nurses were busily doing various things around me, and then my parents came in. My left foot was bundled up in multiple layers of bandages and things. A nurse gave me a shot of morphine (what she said) into my IV, and then the IV was removed. No real pain yet. I was dressed, and bundled up into the car.

Went home. Pain started. Unlike anything I have ever felt before. From 1PM yesterday to about 4:30AM last night, just excruciating pain. They gave me a presecription for Percoset, and I take them when I'm told, but it just dulls it slightly. Unbelievable pain. It comes in waves, and it seems to be getting better now. I can usually find a comfortable spot at least.


Too strung out and exhausted to post more right now.

1 comment:

Karen said...

UGH. That sounds HORRIBLE