Sunday, March 05, 2006

Roses

So, once of my pet projects around my house is my rose bushes. I have somewhat of a green thumb, and especially so for roses. (This makes my mother jealous, as she has horrible luck with them.)

I have a rose bush outside my back door that my mother planted before I was born. It's an old fashion Blaze climber that gets unique purlplish flowers on it. When I moved into my house, it was given to me, as it wasn't doing particularly well at mom's (never got more than about 3 or 4 ft tall, pretty much never bloomed, etc.), and we though it would be neat to see how it did.

It turned into a monster. It has a dozen good branches, each at least 10ft long. Last spring I had nearly 4 dozen blossoms on it by the time it was done blooming.

It's gotten so large I have to move it this spring, as it gets in the way of the back door. I'm going to try to get it moved today I think, while it's still dormant. I've got to find a pair of gloves first so that I don't donate half my blood to it in the process. (Although some will tell you that good roses require such a blood sacrifice to grow well, and I'm inclined to believe it.)

I'll take some pictures when I get it moved and it blooms.

1 comment:

Karen said...

when i moved in with jim he had 5 rose bushes that sound like what your mother has. i should have had you over then to revive them!

in disney they have great big beautiful roses i think you'd love!!