Monday, March 13, 2006

Sunday

Alright, full edited update since long posts are impossible from the phone.

So, after an exhuasting Saturday and failure to sleep again Saturday night, I was up at 7:30 Sunday morning to begin again. I went through and put the finishing touches on the house.

I moved the furniture to the best places for the various pieces for lots of people at the house. I dusted everything, ran the vacuum. I finished up some laundry and got it put away.

I got out the fancy comforter that goes with the paint color in my room, changed sheets, put out the homemade quilt for the bed.

I got my homemade soup out of the fridge and got it going. I lit some scented candles downstairs and upstairs. I took trash out of all the rooms.

I basically made the place as perfect as I could get it.

People started arriving at 1. By the time everyone was there, we had perhaps 35 people. I made myself a good host, and made sure things ran smoothly. I took people on tours of the house, got drinks, food, etc.

I answered a BAJILLION questions regarding my dating status or lack thereof. I endured snide comments from Kris and D as usual regarding that as well.

And then they were all gone. Things seemed to go well, so I'll see what everyone said tonight when I talk to my mom. She's great about finding out things for me. I got no negatives from people that were there yesterday, so that's a good sign. My mother's family is so ridiculously obsessed with that "in vogue" bullshit that I was nervous as to what they thought the whole time yesterday. Not for myself understand, because I don't care. It's more for mom's sake, as she's the one that has to talk to them, and she likes rubbing it in their faces that we are different and we do just fine. We aren't the Abercrombie cutouts that Janie's kids are, we aren't the upper-middle class snobs that everyone else seems to be.

I like it just fine, and I just hope that I impressed enough to give mom some breathing room.

1 comment:

Karen said...

a bajillion, eh? sounds like the majority of your friends. Assume this is because it's something tangible they can think of for conversation as they dont' know you well enough on any other levels?

Can't wait to see the house. I still don't think you should have been the one to friggin' clean...